Thursday, December 20, 2012

Top Five Books I Read This Year, and an announcement...sort of.

I had no clue what I wanted to write for this post, so it may come out super awesome, or...not. But I thought I would name the books I really liked reading this year...here we go:

In no particular order(god, don't ask me to do that. It  was hard enough limiting myself to five favorites), here are the books I loved this past year.
(P.S. Click on the book titles to go to their Amazon pages)


1.Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce:
This author has a few books based off of fairy tales. There's one that is a re-telling of Hanzel and Gretel and there's one of The Little Mermaid, but this is a re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood. The story is told through the perspectives of two sisters who hunt were wolves. It is written so beautifully. It's funny, and there is also a lot of action. Also, the werewolves are pretty scary. In addition to that, these sisters kick ASS. One uses knives and the other uses hatchets. That's all I'm going to say.This was fun to read. : )











2.This is How by Augusten Burroughs:

 I usually don't do the whole self-help book thing. BUT. Augusten Burroughs is one of my favorite writers, and I knew it would be amazing. He did not disappoint. I dare you to name another book that tells you how to feel like shit, or how to be sick.
This book is funny, sad, and truthful. I'm sure it would be helpful to me if I was reading it for that purpose, but I just enjoyed reading the true stories he had in each chapter to demonstrate how to do things like be fat. This man is an amazing human being. You should read every book he writes.








3. Joe by H.D. Gordon:

Holy shit. This book, this book, this book. I absolutely love how H.D. Gordon writes, and this is probably my favorite thing she's done thus far. Jesus. It has everything. Perspective switches, a clairvoyant girl who has a limited amount of time to stop a school shooting, love, death, fear, and so, so, so, much more. I took my kindle with me camping over the summer and loaded 15 books on it. I only read this. I finished it in two days and then I read it again. Do yourself a favor and read it, then bow down to the master of story telling that is H.D. Gordon.








4. The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson:

Another book that floored me. I have to say, I loved Girl Who Played With Fire more, but the way this book was written was awesome too. You have to piece together different parts of what is going on. Some reviews of this book I read said that they didn't like how Lisbeth was in the hospital for a good chunk of it, but those were my FAVORITE parts. The fact that this girl has been shot in the head and still manages to hack into computers and basically write a fucking memoir to use as evidence in a trial is amazing. This character is probably one of my favorites of all time. She makes her own rules. She fights back. She's a hero. Everyone should give this series a try.







5. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green:

Okay. Do yourself a solid:
1.Just go onto amazon, or go into your local book store.
2.DO NOT read the description/inside flap of this book.
3. Read this book. And keep reading it until it's done.
4. Cry.
5. Question everything.
This book is funny, sad, and there is a truthfulness to it that runs so deep it was hard to believe it was fiction sometimes. I usually don't read books like this, but I took someone's advice (not reading the inside flap) and read it. I loved every minute of this book. There's a reason John Green is on all of the end-of-the-year-best-book-lists. DO IT.




So, that's it. I know this post is a little short, but I haven't written anything about other peoples' books in a while. Also, you should all mark your calendars for January 1st. There will be THINGS happening. and you don't want to miss it.
So...give someone a book for the holidays and I will see you on January 1st! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment